Thursday 17 November 2011

Choosing a sewing machine


Well thats a bit of a joke in my house, as there is so many to chose between.
The youngest of my family of machines is like all the rest is a hand me down.   In this case from my quilting mother , who moved into the electronic sewing machine age with a really sophisticated machine.  Its a Bernina!
My own well used far less auspicious make, an Alfa, which I used many years ago to make my wedding dress, is handed down to my youngest daughter.   I don't think it will be making many more wedding dresses - but maybe some curtains. 
I am the proud owner of many other rather older sewing machines. 
It all started with Frister Rossmann treadle- no Singers for this European citzen only German engineering is good enough. A beautiful piece of machinery and a present from my husband. Always reminding me of the one the stood in my Grandmother house. 
It was closely followed by some hand machines.  The engineer in me loves the mechanisms ,and the artist the lacquer work.






The collection got a little out of hand when a friend, who claimed to have 60 machines, moved to live abroad and had a clear out. That's when the babies arrived, wonderfully pieces of simple basic design .
 I find it so amazing that these were once so common, time saving devices, what every women wanted, and today all are virtually worthless. 
A hard choice for today's task ,but it has to be the handed down modern Bernina. 
    
It's a little neglected and needs some new needles, bobbins, and probably oiling.   
The purpose of all this frenetic sewing and machine revival ,sewing on my felting and fabric samples. 
But for now I am just remembering how to to thread the machine and sew
a trial sample,,,,!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment