Friday 18 May 2012

Dying again


Well here I go dying again , and this time I can't be banished to the garden as I need to heat everything up to boiling point. I have a brand new, to me, pan to use bought for euro 2.50 from the local charity shop. 

So collect my BFL fleece, Shetland white snd grey fibre and merino fibre , merino half felt, silks, an alpaca yarn , some yarn of unknown origin or fibre , but wool I think and extra special lace weight Jamiesons shetland yarn .



Trial weight 80 g. Near enough to 100g for an engineer to be perfectly satisfied.
 



What colours to dye. Well I was very uncertain , especially when I thought how the planed second and maybe third dying would turn out. But in the end I I decided on scarlet ,yellow and green, 

Wet out fibre.
Place it in the pan. 
Bring to the boil, slowly , how slow is slow. 
I have no idea, but I think on my lowest setting it would never boil. 
So I turned it up to middling. 
After boiling turn off and sprinkle the dyes. 
Quite simple really!


All without dying the kitchen .

The first batch


LOVELY


The second batch is more muted








but still interesting.


The third is is all too muted for me and its  time to stop , before I dye any more of my precious fibres mouldy looking pinky grey.







Lot of felting opportunities ahead!.





No comments:

Post a Comment