Sunday 30 March 2014

Foil , masking tape and felt

Take an aspect of felt making and explore it with opened experiments. Easy to say difficult to choose what to do. Incorpoartion of fabric , knitting , beads, crochet, dying, laminating and connections by threads.....Just a few of the things I would like to test . Another time. I choose to explore pleats , or really the techniques of incorporation of texture into felt via pleats. Sounds a bit boring really when I write it down , but only time will tell.

So I tried eight different techniques to pleat my fabric. I used stitching , foil, cling film, masking tape and gaffer tape. Good to use all these alternatives as you never know what it going to happen , which after all us the whole idea.

I was a bit constrained as the city and guilds ( bless them ) insists that the experiment all happens together , on one piece of felt , which means all treated the same , not really ideal for these diverse processes and materials.

My starting point .

The final piece with its eight different experiments. It is all white , so that it can be true texture comparison not confused by colour.

Overall I am quite pleased and these are my favorites .

 

Masking tape used to prevent lamination as a way of making pleats.

Foil used to go hold the texture and also prevent laminating.

Unfortunately the gaffer tape although successful will not be taken further for now.

 

4 comments:

  1. Interesting experiments! It looks like you have put prefelt inside the scrim pleats of some and not others, is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Some of them had strips of prefelt sewed into them , and some were prefelted first and then sowed or pleated using an alternative for example foil to hold them in position whilst I felted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like pleats with prefelt and others with scrim (only) ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. All have scrim, and half have prefelt of one kind of an other added.

    ReplyDelete