Sunday 22 January 2012

Lucky Legs

I married into a family with lucky legs . So the family joke goes, lucky they don't break as they are so thin. I do not share this physical attribute, my legs are more sturdy , good walking legs with robust ankles and calves - I'd like to think.
So faced with the challenge of making a pair of felted slipper boots, as a Christmas present I knew I had to make the ankles roomy - I just didn't realized how roomy. So I did all my calculations, made wide looking ankles,and set off.
What a mistake.!
There is quite a lot of work in a pair of felted slipper boots and I was about halfway though  when I split them into two , and realized that it was looking unlikely that I could get my feet into them. I tried stretching and felting simultaneously, in the bath with my feet in as far as they would go , but it was no good.  If I couldn't get my feet in would the recipient be able too. Did she have lucky legs?   I did not think so. Though related the lucky legs genes did not transfer to her.
It was so impossible that the only solution was the slash the boot down the foot not once but twice.  I could get my feet into them now , but they did not look so good. In fact I was not happy with them at all so unhappy I am not going to show you a photo.
I have today tried again with ankles that are significantly bigger than at my first attempt. It has worked. My feet slip in easily. Suitable I think for all ankles styles and shapes. 
Only task now to deliver next weekend as a very late Christmas present. Hope it's appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. They look good, Jane ! And they will be nice and warm to wear .... and appreciated ? SURE !!!

    ReplyDelete