Monday 19 March 2012

Crinklely clouds


The trauma of the missing vivid violet was eventually resolved by a home made and not so vivid purple. After a lot of tracing and transferring of one or two lines at a time I was close to the final intended effect. I am sure it was worth the effect, because after crinkling all defects were well disguised.

The finished and slightly wobbly printed polyester organza had to be felted. I had tried to felt polyester before with no success so I knew be it needed a lot of persuasion to felt.

So I laid out a few purple , to make the point , merino lines and then random white blue face leicester fibres. With lots of cold water and soap I eventually persuaded the odd fibre to struggle its way though the polyester and start to bring the whole thing together. What a lot of hard work.
Eventually it looked kind of laminated and normal felting with warm water could commence. I think it was worth all the effort to laminate it because when it started to felt , I was suprised that all the lines became zigzags surrounded by crinkles. Quite a cloud like texture if not cloud like in colour.
I am quite pleased with it,although its shape is a bit random ,  but I am not sure Constable would recognize it.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you did a hell of a job getting the polyester organza into felting .... it doesn't like to be part of the felt .... though with a lot of elbow grease it sure has no choise !
    Quite an experience I should say !
    See you on Saturday ? your place or mine ?

    ReplyDelete