Sunday 22 April 2012

Beading


I have tried a number of ways of incorporating beads into my felting. 

My earliest experiments just using beads on wool and placing them in the felt were pretty unsuccessful as the threads and beads were not firmly enough attached.


I have stitched beads on top of the felt and that works fine , but requires sewing, which isn't my favorite occupation, and also looks like an add on.  


I have tried placing beads under some scrim , this again had the problem of just too much movement , unless they were attached to a piece of half felt first.

My next attempt was to incorporate some beads into a knitted square out of wool that I knew would felt. This worked well, but involved quite a lot of wool and time knitting for the final effect. There was also a large area of knitted texture incorporated into the felt. 

I think I might have finally solved it. Crochet. 

Thread the beads on to some thin wool that will felt. Use a really big crochet hook and just make a chain. This is actually the limit of my crochet skills. I have tried random spacing and also adding a bead to every stitch. 




The chains can then be laid into top of the fibres and with a few fibres laid on top, are easily secured into the piece. The beads , sit sometimes in the felt , invisible , sometimes half buried and sometimes on the surface. 






I really like the effect , it's as though the beads are a integral part of the felt.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, that's some succes !!!
    (don't think that's ALL you can crochet ????!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of felting as a form of art - actually I didn't know it existed untill about a year ago. But this is amazing! It's like i can feel the beads under my fingers just by looking at them. As if it holds some type of secret. Nice :)

    ReplyDelete