Friday 28 June 2013

A present

Last year I visited Fairfield Mill in the wilds of the Pennines . A real old Mill, it is now part museum , part artist workshops and part display area. Here I saw among other things beautiful embroidered pictures. One really spoke to me , it was of Sanna bay , a bay on the north coast of the ardnamurchan peninsular in Scotland. This bay has special place in my sisters heart.

In July my sister celebrates a significant birthday. This made me think of what I could give her and I remembered Fairfield Mill and the Sanna bay embroidery. Unfortunately I could no longer easily find the artist I remembered. So I thought I would take her place and make my own felted picture of Sanna bay

I researched images and I return to Moy Mackay's book on how to make felted images as I thought I would use machine stitching, Here I have to say I had a revelation. I inherited a good sewing machine , but I have never exploited it. Yes I knew it could do free style stitching , but I had never tried it. What I was missing. I did a few experiments and realized the it could add a significant texture and highlighting effect onto felted pictures. How has it taken me three years of felting and >50 years of sewing , to realize this. I cannot explain. A blind spot I guess.

So I practiced and here a peak at the effect I could get.

Finally I made a Sanna bay image , which will have been delivered by the time this blog is published and a hope it has captured a small amount if the magic of the place.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment