Sunday 11 January 2015

An old grey bag

At Woolfest in 2013 I bought some Gotland fibre . Beautiful carded batts in soft grey shades. Just perfect for a sturdy bag. Which I made and actually wrote 2 blog's about !!! Well I have to now be honest, this bag was not so good really as it was very thin across the bottom and a bit floppy.

For 18 months it's hung on my studio door handle , looking sad, and has never been allowed outside. So I decided to revamp it . I soaked it for a couple of days , and started re fulling. In a gentle sympathetic way you understand, not throwing it at the floor. Persuading it to shrink where it wanted it too.

I quickly cured the thin bottom , and then further shrunk the whole bag to give a more sturdy felt, it reduced in size by about another 15% . My records are a big thin but overall it has now shrunk about 40% Which I think is still debatable for a hardwearing felt . What do you think ? It has turned from a shopping size bag to a large handbag sized bag .

I decided to fit magnetic fasteners for security and remodeled it with more curves. A slimmer and firmer version all round. I even gave it a shave before it faced the world again.

Here is the new version.

And just for information here is the old one, looking strangely sepia!

 

4 comments:

  1. Well ... I think now it cán be allowed outside ;-)
    Love the textural look of the Gotland !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the gotland too, very misty looking.

      Delete
  2. definitely ready to be shown off! I love how you have attached the handles, were the ropes felted on and then stitched to give them more definition at the site of attachment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Teri, Ropes were felted and then stitched into the bag at the prefelt stage . This stitching disappears . After fulling and drying the handles are extended into the bag by more stitching. I hope this helps. If you look at my old blog's gotland bag 1&2. It's all there.

    ReplyDelete