Thursday 7 February 2013

Washing machine felt

One of things I like about felting is it is handmade. Quite literally. Using the force from your hands along with soap and water you make the felt. So I am not at all sure using a washing machine gives me the same satisfaction,even if I like the results.

But one of the really good things about dong this course is you try things you would otherwise dismiss.

So I took my troublesome dyed prefelts and made washing machine felts out of them. The process was quite simple, work out the design , needle felt the pieces in place and then add to the washing machine , along with some of your normal washing. It needed washing twice , first time at 30oC to ensure the needling had taken and then at 40oc to consolidate and shrink. Being a bit of a geek, and a control freak , I did loads of tests with sample pieces to try and predict the outcome, but probably this isn't really necessary , I should have just thrown it in the machine and been happy with the outcome whatever it was.

My first piece was just felt and turned out quite well. I feel it is calm and subtle and the felt itself is fine and soft.

My second I first made a centre piece incorporating thread and yarns and pices of silk to try and capture the chaos from inspiration of my river picture.

I then added silk , shetland wool yarn , silk fibre ,and prefelt shapes to a plain olive green background to set the piece in context. What a lot of needling this was by hand ! It I am going to do this more often I think I will have to contemplate a conversion of one of my vintage sewing machines.

 
This piece I am really pleased with . Even though it was not truly handmade and maybe now I have got over my fear I will try felting by washing machine again.

1 comment:

  1. (ha, recognize the control freak in me !)
    but, all in all it turned out well !
    even the threads ánd that piece of silk !

    ReplyDelete