Wednesday 1 May 2013

Options

I think it is quite hard to make a good mounting display for a piece of felt artwork. There are many options to hang it on the wall but not all will show the texture and composition of the felt to its best effect.

I have researched a number of options and eventually decided for my tree panel there are three possibilities to choose between. When selecting my main criteria has been that I want it to look like a professional piece of art work but I do not want it to be behind glass.

First option , would be to use eyelets. These are simple , cheap and would allow the art work to be simply hung . I am however not sure that the weight of the felt itself would be enough for it to hang flat and straight on the wall. Perhaps the addition of weights as used in curtains could solve this problem.

Second option , make it like a scroll. So add tabs top and I think bottom and two rods . The top one could then have a cord attached to hang it up. I have seen some very large felts hung in the manner using I think curtain poles. Here there were no cords but the pole had probably been attached to the wall using typical curtain pole connection. I think again here getting it to hang straight requires some thought , but this whole idea is not going to work for me , as the sizes are all wrong. So I wonder if using sticks from the woods could look rustic and at the same time professional. I have collected some just in case!

Third option , use stretcher bars. I got this idea from Lisa Call  http://blog.lisacall.com Here is a small extract from her website.  I think these  fabric prints look great.




Maybe thought I would not have a border or maybe I could. The panel backed by a nice natural jute type canvas could look really good. I don't think I will be able to decide until I have made it. Actually I think that is not allowed , when working a commission from a client, so I think I am going to give my client four options . Eyelets, sticks , and stretcher bars with and without a border.

I have started making some samples of parts of my panel and here is one , with and without a border by the wonders of photoshop. Which do you prefer?









1 comment:

  1. Hi Jane, I think it's best to think about hanging a big felted piece is just like hanging quilts : a sleeve on the back where you can put in an aluminum (or wooden) strip .... ?
    Or sew it on, or stretch over a ready made canvas .... ?

    ReplyDelete