Sunday 8 September 2013

Inspiration

Inspiration is a funny thing, a transient passing idea that can grab you or you can miss it entirely. I try to grab it but not always with a forward view in mind.

I was inspired by this seed pod , whilst walking in Ireland. I liked it's placement surviving within the fishing ropes.

I loved the shape it had and its delicate veins. Could I make a felted vessel that captured the essence of its shape translucence and beauty?

This inspiration lead me to looking more closely at the seeds I could find all around me . In this way it was true inspiration as it made me look for new ideas.

Look at these beautiful spheres with their feather like spikes.

Just a weed !

I started collecting just a few to look at more closely , and I have to admit using a magnifying glass in order to see the details. I even bought a magnifying glass from a market whilst on holiday as I was so intrigued.

This is a real beauty. It is herb Robert. Just a common weed that we walk past every day , but so beautiful. My research to check I had the name right says it is plant that can lower blood sugar levels so has a potential for treating diabetics. Just growing in our hedges, there to see every day.

I have also discovered while picking a few wild flower seed pods that some of them have amazing explosive properties. Designed of course to distribute their seeds and help ensure the species survival. These are often very tiny and I cannot make a good photograph , a have made a small pianting sketch with the aid of my magnifying glass just before the explosion.

 

So from the tiny explosive seed pods to the architectural beauty of rosebay willow herb. Photographed here on a misty morning with just a few pink flowers remaining.

I am totally inspired following my one small discovery by seeds and seed pods and hope I can find a way in the near future to convert their beauty into felt,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment