Thursday 12 September 2013

Replacement Slipper Boots

Last year I made two felted pairs of slippers one for myself and one for my daughter. They both wore out unbelievably quickly. I wondered how this was possible.

Maybe I learn it from Artybird , I used the wrong fibre. Merino cannot be used for slippers I read. Well it can because I have done it but maybe that's why they worn out. They did look nice though.

So I decided to try harder wearing fibre. I used Icelandic, grey with BFL insides, in a bright blue from world of wool. First slipper task replace the worn out slipper boots.

Well I knew from a previous slipper boot disaster that making sure the legs of the boots were wide enough is important. Boots that you can't get your feet into are useless. I think Ugg have this sorted, but personally I am still nervous about this issue.

I bought slipper lasts , trying to be professional. Strange I thought they have very thin ankles , certainly not wide enough for boots , but they have very roomy feet

So here are my slipper boots ready for felting .

 

Much rubbing, rolling ,soap and water later, I try to get the lasts in to them. It was almost impossible. I think the lasts need a flexible ankle. I managed eventually but I feared that the slippers probably were not felted enough for this stage of the process. It was a doubled edged sword really felt more and not get them on lasts or put them on the lasts and hope for the best.

So I rubbed and soaped and shrunk to the last before a wrapping in tights, stuffing the legs with tea towels and washing in the washing machine. Easy enough and luckily I did follow the instruction to put the lasts in a carrier bag. Without I would have had to cut the slippers to get the lasts out,

Eventually I ended up with these finished items.

It seems hardly possible for something so light but they are incredibly clumpy. They feel like moon boots. I am not sure they are quite elegant enough for the intended recipient.

Late tip from Arybird Kate was not to have used the lasts but to have felted them around my feet. Well possibly this needs to happen but I am just a bit out of energy for these slippers just now and I am not sure an improved appearance will be the result. It will have to wait for another day.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment