Sunday 12 January 2014

Cobwebs

I have been trying to make very thin felt , cobwebs in fact.  Not really made in the way a spider spin a web but thin enough to see through.
I was reminded by this field of cobwebs taken near Grasmere one misty morning.

This photograph was taken by my husband. See more of his beautiful images here.

Nothing I can make will be as amazing as these thousands of webs , visible so clearly in the mist.

My first attempt in white merino is reasonably successful for a first trial.

Pictured against a brilliant blue January sky.
Adding threads for interest as a further experiment.
This piece is quite stretchy and some of its ideas could perhaps be incorporated into a scarf, or maybe not.
These are good for experimenting and are part of the course, but I think I like my felt just a bit more robust and substantial.





3 comments:

  1. I really like the fine threads in your final piece, somehow they sit better with the fragility of the cobweb felts. I know what you mean about preferring your felt to be more substantial, while the cobweb felt is very pretty and delicate I can't think of many practical uses for it. I'm interested to see where you take these samples...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks . I am not sure these samples are going anywhere, but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That photo is a beauty !!!!
    What kind of wool did you use ???
    (remember the lady at Rotabs working with .... Gotland ??)
    See you ;-)

    ReplyDelete