Friday 9 May 2014

Sewing bee challenge.

Since watching the second year of the sewing bee , I have had a great desire to make clothes with my new sewing machine. Time has been my problem really , but right now I am in a lull whilst thinking over my next felting project and waiting for some supplies to arrive. So I decided to test myself on a challenge to remake a favorite garment out of stretch material.

So I made my pattern, the trickiest part was the curve on the sleeves, I guess there are some rules here. But I just approximated. My mother could tell me how to do this I am sure if I ask her. I cut my fabric nervously leaving only 0.5 cm turnings as was required for my sew and neaten in one go stitch . I realised that the construction method of my top was not the traditional , sew the shoulders , sides and sleeves seams.and set in the sleeves , but rather sew the shoulders , sew in the sleeves and then sew sides and sleeves together all in one. Not a lot of room for error here but a time saving idea.

Here you can see a little bit of tacking and my magic disappearing marking on the neckline.

My super fast heming stitch.
 
Binding the neckline which is proving a bit tricky.

Learning so far me .

Accurate cutting and placement of the pattern pieces is critical .

Iron the fabric first to ensure it is totally smooth is required otherwise forget the accurate cutting effort.

I must understand curves on sleeves better.

The stretchy of fabrics and their thickness effects the stitches on the machine and I need to test and adjust before starting.

Overall I am please with my almost finished top but could I have made it in 2 hours. No way .

 

2 comments:

  1. I confess I caught the same bug too, my brother gave me a book token so I bought the book to accompany the first series. I has lots of useful sewing tips in it and a few patterns too. So far I have only made a sleeveless top but have great plans to sew garments from felt. When do we get to see you sporting your new top?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the weather warms up !

    ReplyDelete