Sunday 19 October 2014

A Roman blind and a Rug

A few months ago I helped my pregnant daughter make this Roman blind for her babies room. I have made curtains many times before but never Roman blinds. The tricky part I think , as in a lot of sewing is the cutting. We did a good job between us and we're pleased with the final result.
This got me thinking over making a felted gift for my new grandchild and eventually I decided on a rug , echoing the birds on the blind. I wondered whether I was up to the task of felting a thick sturdy rug.
I draw / painted my design and then cut out prefelt birds , and leaves and used fibres and roving for the branches and flowers.
It then had to be reversed and laid out in order with the birds on the top.
I filled in the gaps with merino fibre.
With the addition of four substantial layers of fibre and a prefelt backing it was ready to felt.
I really spent a lot of time rubbing to ensure it was felted before I transferred to the garden table where I could add loads of water from the wateringcan and I rolled in a cloth directly onto the wooden slated table. It was not as much work as I had imaged.
All ready and waiting for my my new grandson , Sebastian, who was born on the 9/10 /14. He is too young to appreciate this master piece but I think it looks very good on his bedroom floor.






2 comments:

  1. How wonderful - it is absolutely beautiful and a great use of prefelts. I'm sure he will love it when he is a little older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to see the how-to ... and as I said before when I saw the rug,
    I know for sure that the curtains were made from a Quentin Blake
    drawing ;-))

    ReplyDelete