Sunday 30 October 2011

Ahoy there


Not the nautical term but the name of the big exhibition centre here in Rotterdam, which this weekend hosted the "handwerk beurs" This is the Dutch equivalent of the knitting and stitching show at ally pally , but rather a lot smaller.

Its a good oportunity -- only a short Metro ride away to see what new in the world of wool, embroidery , quilting etc. 


There is always a lot of sock wool, as the Dutch are very dedicated sock knitters. I treated myself to two nice plain sock yarns, one of which the shop lady was determined was made with nettles and wool of course. This seemed a little surprising to me , but as the word is not in the dictionary or on a google translate, it wil have remain as nettles. It is a lovely Autumn colour.






I bought a small,amount of felting wool, for a bag I have now made for a posh dinner outing later in the week
I had lunch with some friends and it was great to catch up with all their good news. After lunch another spinning friend introduced me to a electric spinning wheel. I am not sure that is much of an improvement for me , if I was going to spin I think I'd chose a traditional wheel. But there is not time in my life for spinning and felting.


My purchases were complete with a random selection of fibres to incorporate into felted objects , some silk , including threads and some linen and a ball of Rowan yarn for my adventures into an online KAL for a hat which starts on the 1st November.


 Here's a photos  of my purchases, a bit of a random collection , but all purchased with a plan. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I totally agree: the "handwerkbeurs" was great fun!

    ReplyDelete