Sunday 8 June 2014

Herb Robert

I love this little weed, Herb Robert, as it tumbles over rocky walls , seeming to grow is all sorts if Infeasible situations.

 

What I did not know was that it is claimed to have miraculous healing properties as it is a source of germanium. Appartenly you can make a nice tea with it which I will have to try, or even chop it up and eat it in salads. Has anyone tried it ?

I especially like its seed pods.

 
Different colours seem to appear , I am not sure if it's location or time of year dependent.
 
 

I used this tiny seed pod less than 2cm long as my inspiration for a felted pod using the techniques I learned with Andrea Graham at Fiberfusing.

The seed pod is covered in tiny hairs and here I am making some spikes for my pod.

Spikes firmly embedded in to the body of the pod.

Here is the finished piece , which looks a lot more sinister than I intended.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I have this weed growing all over my garden, it has a peculiar smell when pulled up that makes me think it will not taste very nice as a tea. If you do try it please let us know - I'm intrigued! I see what you mean about the pod being a bit scary, there's a definite triffid quality to it, not at all like what I expecting from the image of the seed pod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to think about making one in some brighter colours to remove the Triffid look. The process of pod making is quite time consuming so this will have to wait a while.

    ReplyDelete