Monday 16 June 2014

Just too many sheep breeds!

The more I felt , the more breeds of sheep and their fibres I discover and the more confused over their different properties I become. The final straw arose over short fibre merino. Is this a new breed of merino sheep? Fibre from part of the sheep. Or just the ordinary merino cut up? This is a question I would really like answering !!!!

All these different fibres make slightly different qualities of felt. So in an attempt to resolve my confusion I decided it was time to start to build my own felt sample library. Starting with what I have in my stash.

Each sample to start at 11cm square and weigh 3 g. I am having worries now I have started this that this is too small and has too many inaccuracies. But too late for those technical concerns now.

Made so far left to right :

Bergshcaap, C1 merino, CM norwegien , Nepal, LLewyn , Cap from woll knol.


To make , left to right;

Gotland , merino top, merino silk mix, alpaca, Herdwick, merino silk blend 2, Blue faced Leicester , Jacob, Norwegien.

I am going to label them all and thread them on a ring. With lots of space for more.

Here I have a technical problem . I have the eyelets I have the special plastic tool and I have a hammer , but so far in my test I have failed to make an acceptable eyelet. Weird , must be a mismatch somewhere in my equipment.


 

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read about the results of your experiments. I have been doing something similar recently but with small 3D sculptures, trying out a variety of breeds to see how they behave. Polwarth is looking like a favourite so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Teri , I will keep you posted. Polwarth is a new one to me , would you like to do some swoops to extend our knowledge ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came across it more by accident than design, World of Wool stock it. Would you like me to send you some to play with? I can be contacted securely via the contact box on my blog if you would like to send me your address.

      Delete